This month, we’ve been discussing the importance of writing diverse characters. Using what you’ve learned, here is your challenge:
Imagine your characters live far away in a dangerous place. They are going to build a boat and travel across the sea to find a safe place to live.
Do they meet anyone along the way? What kind of adventures do they have?
Send in your short story by August 31st and you could win a $30 Booktopia voucher!
Word limit: 600 words
Acceptable formats: Everything! Type it up if you can; send in a picture of your handwritten story if you can’t. Draw/take a picture to accompany if you like!
Head over to the submissions page when you’re ready.
Did you get a storytime play kit?
- 2 wooden peg dolls
- Bottle of blue water beads
- Bundle of twine and twigs
Play your story!
- Mix your water beads into 1 litre of water. It might be best to do this at night so they’ll be ready for play first thing in the morning!
- Paint and dress your wooden peg dolls as diverse characters.
- Use your twigs and twine to build a boat for your characters.
- Use your water beads as the ocean and play your story!
We would love to see some photos! Send them in here or tag @penandfable_boxes